COVID-19 Position Statement
The Board of Trustees, my leadership team, and our community health officials continue to evaluate and respond to the evolving nature of the coronavirus (COVID-19). The safety and well-being of our students and staff continue to be our number one priority. It is important to remember that, at this time, no Nye County residents have tested positive for COVID-19 and most Nevada residents are at low risk of contracting the coronavirus.
In assessing the impact that a school closure would have on our families and community, there are no planned school closures at this time. The goal of the Nye County School District is to remain open, provide the essential components of education for our children to continue a sense of stability for our students, employees, and families. Additionally, until further notice, the before and after school SAFE Program will continue to remain open to support students and families.
What we are doing:
- All school, district, and non-district sponsored athletics on Nye County School District campuses, extra-curricular activities, assemblies, practices, and events are suspended effective immediately until further notice.
- Restrictions on international, in-state, and out-of-state student travel remain until further notice.
- Salad bars and share tables will be removed from all schools, effective immediately, until further notice. Students will continue to have menu options meeting federal guidelines.
- Employees are avoiding unnecessary travel to other schools and district buildings, except essential personnel servicing our students.
- Custodial staff have been directed to prioritize disinfection of contact surfaces throughout our buildings as a proactive approach to preventing the possible spread of COVID-19.
- We continue to refine our response to the coronavirus utilizing just-in-time information as it becomes available.
- We will communicate on a regular basis through social media, news outlets, mass phone-calls (robo calls), and email with up-to-date information.
What you can do:
- Create a plan for your family in the event of a school closure.
- Children and adults should stay home if they are sick.
- Reduce your (adult) exposure to crowds.
- Reevaluate any out-of-community travel.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Alcohol-based sanitizer is recommended if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue. If a tissue is unavailable, sneeze or cough into the crook of your arm (elbow). Do not sneeze or cough into your hand(s).
Additional resources: CDC.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/ and click on the At Home link. Nye County webpage https://bit.ly/33c4b1T. Southern Nevada Health District operates a phone line 9-5 Monday-Friday (702) 759-4636.